Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Nursing melt down...yup...still going...

This week we dropped the morning nurse, leaving only the near bedtime nurse. It wasn't planned on my part, in fact, I probably would have given her another week after recovering from being sick, but I was worn out and her Daddy thought letting me sleep was a good idea so he kept the monitor low and let me sleep in. Without waking me he got her up and gave her a sippy of milk and that was that. Once we start it there is no going back, so there went the morning nurse and man she is ticked. I mean TICKED!!! The first morning it went well; it was ten before I woke up on my own (OMG...it had been over 14 months since I've slept that long) and she'd had an entire sippy of milk (WOW...too bad it was a one time thing), had eaten breakfast and was playing nicely. The second morning I stayed in bed so that she wouldn't see me and I could hear her protesting. She wasn't happy at all, but eventually got on with her routine--no milk though. Unfortunately when I did get up Braden made the mistake of bringing her into our room and plopping her on the bed, so when I didn't nurse her...well lets just say she lots her mind. Complete meltdown. This morning I heard her protesting again but it didn't last as long and she did drink an ounce or two (I guess I should be glad she took SOME milk right?!). The problem is by the end of the day she is just freaking out to nurse. Like begging at my legs when its time. Then she nurses like she's afraid its the last time, doesn't let go until she gets the last drop. Then smiles at me like I made her day! Its heartbreaking. I feel awful taking away something she's known her entire life when she obviously doesn't want to give it up. And I'll be honest. I love nursing her. I love the connection we have, love that I'm the only person in the entire world that can do this for her. But I also realize that it's time. Since she's having such a hard time with this session I know I'm going to have to give her a little time before cutting the last one (Oh darn!). We have several things coming up that will disrupt her routine as it is, so throwing that on top of it is only asking for trouble. She earned herself a few more weeks. But in all reality we should be done nursing at the end of the month. So maybe in October I should go buy myself some fancy bra's because I'll have my boobs back! LOL On a different note. Here are a couple of things I made this week. The first is a rag quilt I made of Emilie's old infant receiving blankets. They were too worn to save for a possible future baby and for some reason I just couldn't throw them away. When Em was little the receiving blankets were practically a part of her daily outfits. We'd pick an outfit and a blanket for the day. They mean something to me. So I cut them up and re-purposed them into a blanket she can use now and for a little while to come. The second picture is a bib. A friends Mom made two like this when Em was born and we've loved them. But they are getting a little small so I had to replace them. I made a pattern out of her old one and made a new one for her. I got some other fabric so I hope to make a few more soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment