Monday, August 29, 2011

PUKE!!!!!

I did it to myself...just this Saturday, I said..."we've been lucky so far, we haven't had to deal with vomit...I don't do vomit". Well...Today...I do vomit. YUCK!!! I heard Emilie fussing at 6:40 this morning which is early for her, then I heard her cough...huh...that's odd. Braden came in a little later with her (he gets her out of bed and brings her to me to nurse, and YES I said nurse) and says "she threw up all over herself." Nice. I don't do vomit so nursing a baby whose little hands smell like puke is not the way I want to wake up, in fact, afterwards I handed her to her daddy and said I'm going back to bed! LOL. I hoped I would wake up and all would be well in her little world. But we had to take several things into consideration first. 1. She's been on an antibiotic for a sinus infection that had been wreaking havoc on her little system. 2. She'd had diarrhea for almost two weeks due to said antibiotic, even with yogurt and a probiotic. 3. She is an eater...I mean an EATER...but she's not really eaten well in 4-5 days. 4. She finally ate a decent meal last night and then promptly threw it up this morning. 1+2+3+4 = phone call to Doctor = Visit. The Dr felt like it probably wasn't viral...too many things involved for it to conveniently be viral, but who knows. She also thinks her little tummy is just having some issues with the antibiotic and thought the vomiting was a one time deal (which was proven wrong the minute we walked back in the door). She's a little concerned about the cause so we've got to do some poop samples (can you say FUN?!) and let them know if anything changes at all. But its likely just her body telling us that the antibiotic was tough on her--at least that's my hope. But we also spent nearly every day this week with her playgroup buddies so it COULD be viral.

Since she's been sickly this month I've checked her temperature easily a dozen times. And I'm learning that holding down a toddler to try to get an underarm or worse...a rectal reading is near impossible. Emilie fights and screams through the entire experience. I'm tired of the fight. We had a Moby ear/forehead thermometer we got as a shower gift when she was born. It never worked right and now won't even turn on. I've been looking at forehead thermometers but never want to dull out the cash, but I think its time to get a good one, its an investment and we'll have it forever...right?? I did some research and found that the The Exergen TemporalScanner Temporal Artery Thermometer is the best rated one out there. I've found it on Amazon and Target for about $33 which is better than I expected to find them. I was going to order it on Amazon because I have prime and it would get here by Wednesday but I need to go grab some Lysol and more Gatorade anyway so I'll just get it at my local Target. Any excuse to go to Target is fine by me. Now I just have to wait until her Daddy can stay with her because there is no way I'm taking a puky kid out!!!

Here's a sweet (but horrible quality) picture of my sweet girl. I handed her the blankie and she snuggled up in her favorite spot with it herself. I got some other precious ones on my camera but haven't had time to upload them yet. I promise to do so before the end of the day because they are just too cute. She loves her blankie!


1 comment:

  1. and it's only gone downhill from here! :) Poor mommy!!

    ReplyDelete