Monday, November 12, 2012

Pipe breaks, craft therapy and Big Girl Rooms!

Oh what a week!!!!!! Last week we walked out in the front yard to put something in the mail and smelt something kind of...well...funky. Then I noticed a large amount of standing water in our flower bed and we immediately knew it was trouble. It WAS!!! Its been the thorn in my side for 6 days! We have a large tree in the front yard that so rudely allowed its root system to put stress on our sewage lines causing it to crack, and what happens when roots are near a cracked pipe?! Well...they invade it! To quote Stephanie Tanner..."HOW RUDE!!" After being quoted an astronomical price to fix it they hinted that the price would be greatly reduced if we dug our own 4'x 4' hole. So we did what anyone would do...we hired someone else much cheaper to do it for us!! LOL Of course once they got the pipe exposed and it was no longer covered in dirt we realized that the dirt was actually holding the "crack" together and it was actually in fact a pretty sizable break. Oh don't let me forget to mention, we also found that there was a second matching break 18" beyond that! So once we realize that we had exposed sewage pipes and couldn't flush our toilets we started calling around to find someone to come yesterday. They of course didn't actually come and cancelled us until this morning but what they did do was quote us several hundred dollars under what our original plumber did. Yup...guess who got cancelled and who got the job. Just in case you don't know what a 4' hole looks like, let me enlighten you...



Yea fun huh? Mind you this is mid work with the plumber - thus the totally disconnected pipe.

So over the last week I've been a little stressed?! I mean...we did have to pull most of what we'd saved for my maternity leave out to put it in the gaping hole in our front hard, that's cause for a little stress right? And what do I do when I stress??? I craft!! So I'd been scouring my pinterest boards for something to do that would relieve the stress and be a good Christmas gift -- gotta multitask ya know?! And while I almost hate to post this because there is a chance some of the people receiving them will see them...I'm equally doubtful that they'd actually read this post AND then remember it come Christmas. So here's the adorable Santa hand ornament Emilie and I made this week! They are still drying from the clear coat here :)


And because I fully believe in giving credit to the original source. Here is the pin so you can make them for your family with your little ones hand!

And finally...because I like to torture myself...we decided that this was the weekend to convert Emilie over to a big girls room. I had two thoughts on choosing this rather pitiful weekend. 1- We were stuck home dealing with the hole anyway, so why not? 2- She wasn't going to bed all that great and I REALLY didn't get that situation figured out just to switch her into her new bed and chance it all going back to screaming. So we did it! We purchased a rather inexpensive dresser from Target and dressed it up just a touch by spray painting the knobs a light pink before installing them. We didn't want to spend money on a decent dresser knowing how hard toddlers and little kiddos can be on things. I ended up really liking how it complements her room. We also purchased a tent we're using as her "reading nook" and hung it in one corner. I saw the idea on pinterest but making it stressed me out...so I ordered one off etsy from Aalbers Creations. She doesn't list them on her site anymore but she custom matched it to a photo I'd emailed her of Emilie's bedding and it was amazing! So if you're so inclined...you might check her out!! And finally we put up the daybed in Emilie's room and removed her toddler bed. She got a big girl bedding set and while the first night was rough, last night she went down and slept wonderfully...so I'm happy to say...I think she likes it :)



Please excuse the messy bed pictured here...I forgot that Emilie used it as a trampoline RIGHT before I shot this picture. OOPS!

So that's my weekend in a nutshell!! Hope yours found you well, your pipes aren't broken, your beautiful grass hasn't been torn up with dirt and a huge hole to China, and your kid isn't screaming at bedtime! As for me...its a new day and a new week! We're off to playdate with some friends and then later today we have our sonogram to tell us with for SURE that the perinatologist was right and this little gymnast in my uterus is in fact a BOY! --- at this point he kind of better be...I've already mostly decorated his room ;)

1 comment:

  1. That was one crazy week...and YES, we do ready your blog, and those hand ornaments are adorable.

    Will

    ReplyDelete