Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Random thoughts

As I'm sitting at my desk working and chasing my Little Debbie brownie (with chocolate chips on top -- sooo thankful they make a no nut version of my favorite childhood treat!) with my caffeine free Dr. Pepper I'm wondering if it is going to bite me in the rear a little later. First, I am a Dr. Pepper lover...being pregnant I am THRILLED that they make a NON-diet caffeine free version...because when you need the fizz of a soda, Sprite just won't do it for long.

Yesterday was an odd day. It started out pretty normal but I had a weird pregnancy thing happen. I took note of it and went on my way. Partially because I didn't want to pay attention to it, partially because I really thought it was fine. But later while sitting at a table full of Mommy friends the topic came up. And when they heard about the contractions I'd been having off and on and this new issue...well...they freaked. In the sweetest and caring yet forceful way. So I called the nurse and let her know I was having issues. I hadn't had a contraction in several days but they were pretty concerned about the other issue. The nurse was going to call me back after talking to the doctor. While still not overly concerned on my way home, I called my Mother. A former Labor and Delivery nurse and former NICU nurse...well if I thought my friends were forceful...my mother was a hurricane! I was immediately off the phone with her and calling the Dr. back during their lunch hour. The nurse listened again to my symptoms and promptly said to be there when they re-open at 1:15. Well...my bravado at that point was gone. I was scared. I don't know if it was my fear and stress level or shear coincidence but Landon's activity level started to pick up dramatically (and he is an active little man) and I started to have pain. I was thankful to be on my way to the doctor but getting more uncomfortable by the minute. By the time I got to see the doctor they were able to see Landon's movements visibly from across the room. This apparently isn't normal for a 23 week baby. Yes we should just be starting to feel them on the outside but not visibly see them and from a distance. The more he moved the more pain I had. I explained my previous contractions and said I knew Braxton Hicks were harmless so I hadn't called. Well...that would have been okay had these been BH but they aren't. I'm having real contractions. Awesome. -- That was my word of the day yesterday-- Awesome. After a thorough exam he decided he didn't think I had a rupture but wanted an immediate ultrasound to be sure I wasn't losing fluid. He also noted that I had a very "aggressive" baby (I think he likened him to both King Kong and something else in a short few minutes) and that his activity was causing uterine tenderness (he noticed that he could barely palpate the right side of my belly without pain) and contractions. Basically Landon was wreaking havoc on my body. But that he did not believe it was pre-labor contractions. Just a ticked off uterus. So on to the hospital to be double checked and I could go home. Luckily they found that my fluid levels were normal even slightly above normal (Praise the Lord!! My biggest fear after Emilie is another fluid issue) so as long as the contractions didn't worsen I was safe to go home. I needed to scale back my activity levels just a bit, drink more, and eat more. Ok...that's a prescription I can handle!! Now the following few hours of contractions sometimes ten minutes apart was less than fun, but they finally started to subside yesterday evening and haven't returned. I do have some discomfort that I think is just tired muscles from the contractions but I can live with it. So here's my question...what in the world causes a baby to be sooo active in the womb?! Is my brownie and DP (while caffeine free it still has sugar) treat going to throw him back into activity? Is it stress? Or is it just this baby?! I tried to research it...my friends call me the "Google Queen" but I've found nothing...nothing other than an overly active baby can lead to pre-term labor. Yeah...I think I figured that one out!! LOL

So today as I finished my afternoon treat I'm wondering...will I regret that later??

Another random note...we passed out our little friend gifts at the Christmas party yesterday and everyone loved the little Christmas tree crayons! They were a big hit! The kids loved picking a coloring book and the Mom's loved the crayons. We'll definitely be making them again for other holidays/themes/events!!

And finally, we had our first Christmas celebration of the season this weekend. Unfortunately I didn't get a good picture of Em all dressed up she'd already taken off her sweater before the camera's came out and then she was much too serious to actually look at the camera. We did catch a few to show you how seriously a two year old takes unwrapping presents!!


That's all I've got today folks! We have the babies room in the works and another few small projects in the mix to share soon and hopefully I'll find the time to get some more of our makeover pictures taken soon! We're a week from Christmas with 4 celebrations remaining!! It's that time of year!! Merry Christmas friends!

1 comment:

  1. only you... and hey! a shout out to the one friend that knew better than to panic on you! :) hehehehehe

    ReplyDelete